Everyone knows the importance of proper oral care in preventing tooth decay, cavities, gum disease and bad breath. Apart from health issues, a healthy smile also has a strong impact on our self-esteem and confidence. But what causes these dental problems and why do we get them so easily?
Let’s start with the fact that your teeth only make up 25% of your mouth. Most people usually focus on brushing without realising that using only a toothbrush and toothpaste is not effective enough. Cleaning the remaining 75%, which includes all the areas that your toothbrush simply cannot reach, is vital for proper oral care.
Here’s a scary thought: There are billions of bacteria living on not just your teeth, but also your tongue, gums and the insides of your cheeks.
When these areas are not cleaned properly, bacteria accumulate and develop into plaque. Plaque is what destroys the enamel of your teeth and is unfortunately difficult to remove without professional help.
Not keen on seeing your dentist too often no matter how nice he is? Here’s how to prevent plaque buildup, tooth decay and cavities:
The first step to a clean and healthy mouth is to brush your teeth at least twice a day. You can also carry a GLISTER Advanced Toothbrush and a mini tube of GLISTER Multi-Action Fluoride Toothpaste in your bag or keep them in your desk drawer at work to brush after lunch – no more awkward moments with spinach stuck in your teeth during a meeting!
Brushing should take at least 2 full minutes to ensure a thorough clean. Find creative ways to time yourself, such as humming along to a favourite song. Holding your toothbrush at a 45° angle, carefully sweep up and down to clean under the gum line.
If you thought your teeth were all you had to worry about, think again. Bacteria gets everywhere from the surface of your teeth to your tongue and gums, as well as the inside of your cheeks. This is where anti-bacterial mouthwash plays an important role, as it effectively cleans all areas of your mouth, even those that are hard to reach.
Be sure to gargle with anti-plaque mouthwash vigorously for a full 30 seconds and spit it out. For best results, wait at least 30 minutes before eating or drinking, especially when consuming sugary food and beverages. Tip: Dilute the GLISTER Concentrated Anti-Plaque Mouthwash in the handy little GLISTER Mouthwash Dilution Bottle.
Having a tiny bottle of mouthwash on hand may be ideal, but there is a more convenient option. Pop the portable GLISTER Mint Refresher Spray into your pocket for an instant breath fix and a minty cool sensation anytime, anywhere. Best of all, you can use it as often as you like throughout the day!
Did we mention it’s a sugar-free refresher spray? This means it will not promote acid production; a highly acidic mouth encourages bacteria growth and will ultimately damage your teeth.